Lentil and Sardine Salad
Light Meal / Gluten Free / Nut Free / Low Cholesterol / Low in Saturated Fats / Low Sodium / Suitable for Diabetics / Halal / Plain Soft Food / Healthy heart recipe / Vegetarian
Submitted by: Adapted from Ottolenghi Plenty
2x120 gm tins of Sardine filets (tinned – based on 120 gm tin drained weight 90 gm)
Or using 250 gms Feta or Haloumi cheese
250 gms Brown lentils - washed
2 Bay leaves
2 tsps Cumin seeds or powder
2 tsps Coriander seeds or powder
75 mls or 5 tbsp Olive oil
1 Onion - roughly chopped
2 Garlic cloves - crushed
275 gms Greek yoghurt
70 gms Baby spinach
3 tbsps Chopped coriander
3 tbsps Chopped mint
Juice of a lemon
1. Cook the lentils in water with the bay leaves - about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Dry roast cumin and coriander - if using seeds, grind in pestle and mortar, set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a separate pan and fry the onion gently for about 8 minutes until golden and very soft.
4. Add the ground spices and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
5. Mix the lentils, onions and spices together and set aside to cool.
6. Once cool, stir in the yoghurt, spinach and herbs. Season to taste.
7. Lay the sardine fillets (or the cheese) on top of the salad to serve.
Serve with crusty bread or soft Turkish bread