Ginger Parkin with Custard or Lemon Icing
Dessert / Snack / Nut Free / Shellfish Free / Low Sodium / Vegetarian
Submitted by: Nigella Lawson, Domestic Goddess
75 gms Unsalted butter
65 gms Dark muscavado sugar
100 gms Golden syrup
100 gms Black treacle
15 gms Fresh ginger – peeled and grated
Half tsp Ground cinnamon
125 mls Milk
1 large Egg - beaten
Half tsp of Bicarbonate of soda in 15 mls or 1 tbsp water – dissolved
150 gms Plain flour - sieved
75 mls Custard or Crème fraiche
Approx measurement – you can be generous
Lemon icing (optional – only when serving cold):
Half tbsp Lemon juice
90 gms Icing sugar – sieved
Half tbsp Warm water
1. Preheat oven to160°c/Fan140°c/325°f/gas mark 3 - Guide only. Refer to your appliance manual
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter with the sugar, golden syrup, treacle, ginger and cinnamon.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk, beaten eggs and bicarbonate of soda in its water.
4. Put the flour in a bowl and pour in the liquid ingredients, beating until well mixed. Pour into the tin and bake for 45 minuets to 1 hour, by which time the cake should be risen and firm to the touch – cooking time will be less if doing a small quantity. Please check when cooking
Set aside to cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm with custard - approx 1 to 2 tbsp or cold with crème fraiche.
1. Sift the icing sugar. Add the lemon juice and then gradually add the warm water. The icing needs to be thick.
2. Spread icing over the cooled gingerbread and leave to set before cutting into slices.