Spicy Chicken with Pilau Rice
Main Course / Dairy Free / Gluten Free / Lactose Free / Nut Free / Shellfish Free / Low in Saturated Fats / Caribbean / Low Potassium / Healthy heart recipe / Indian
Preparation time: 10minutes
Cooking time: 40minutes
Submitted by: Lead Cooks Working Group
5 chicken portions, 2 garlic cloves, crushed with the flat side of a knife and peeled, 1 tbsp + 1 tsp paprika, 1 tbsp and 1 tsp ground ginger, salt and pepper, 4 tbsp vegetable oil, 4 large onions, coarsely chopped
1. Rub the chicken portions with the crushed garlic. Mix together the paprika, ginger, salt and pepper and rub them over the chicken. Leave the portions covered in the refrigerator at least one hour or overnight.
2. Scrape off most of the seasoning on the chicken and reserve it. Pat chicken pieces dry with kitchen paper.
3. Heat half the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and quickly cook the chicken pieces until they are lightly browned. Transfer them top a large saucepan.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the same saucepan over medium-low heat and cook the onions until golden. Add the onions to the saucepan along with the chopped tomatoes, reserved seasoning and chilli sauce to taste.
5. Place the saucepan over medium heat. When the tomatoes begin to get hot and cook, cover the pan and lower the heat. Simmer the mixture gently for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender, adding a little water if the mixture gets dry.
6. Meanwhile, make the Pilau rice. Heat oil in a large frying pan over low heat and cook the chopped garlic and onion until they are soft.
7. Add the rice, turmeric, green pepper, tomatoes and cardamom pods, cover with boiling water and simmer for 10-12 mins or until tender.
8. When the chicken and rice are both tender, stir the fresh coriander into the rice and serve the chicken and sauce with the rice.