Shepherd’s pie with carrots and peas
Main Course / Gluten Free / Nut Free / Shellfish Free / Low Cholesterol / Low in Saturated Fats / Traditional British / Low Sodium / Suitable for Diabetics / Healthy heart recipe / Vegetarian / European
Preparation time: 1hours
Cooking time: 30minutes
Submitted by: Siobhan Lanigan
Vegetable oil 5ml
Onion, medium ¼
Garlic clove ¼
Carrot, medium ¼
Leek, medium ¼
Fresh thyme leaves ½ tsp
Lamb mince 200g
Tomato puree 1tsp
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped 1 tsp
Finely chopped mixed herbs – thyme, sage & rosemary 1 tsp
Floury potatoes such as King Edwards or Maris Piper 100g
Parsnip or swede 60g
Mature cheddar cheese 15g
Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
1: Main dish
Approx preparation time: 60 minutes.
Approx cooking time: 30 minutes.
1. Set oven to 190C/gas mark 5, and set water to boil for potatoes and parsnip/swede
2. Meanwhile wash, peel and finely chop the onion, carrot and leek. Peel and crush the garlic (you can use the edge of a knife to do this)
3. Brown the mince in the oil
4. Add the onion to the meat and fry gently for c 8 minutes in the oil until soft
5. Add the garlic, carrot, leak and thyme to the softened onions and meat and cook until soft
6. Add the tomato puree and simmer for c 30 minutes, adding the mixed herbs towards the end with salt and black pepper to taste. Boil away some of the excess liquid to thicken the sauce if necessary.
7. Meanwhile, wash and peel potatoes and parsnip/swede and cut into 2cm cubes. Grate the cheese.
8. Boil potatoes and parsnip/swede in the water for c 10 minutes or until soft, but not completely falling to bits. Drain well
9. Add the grated cheese to the cooked potatoes and parsnip/swede and mash, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Add milk as necessary to ensure a smooth creamy consistency
10. Skim off any excess fat from the meat and vegetable mixture, and add the chopped parsley
11. Put cooked meat and vegetable mixture into the bottom of a baking tray. Top with potato and parsnip/swede mix
12. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes until top is golden and dish is thoroughly hot throughout
2: Accompaniment 1 – carrots and peas
Approx cooking time:
1. Wash and chop vegetables
2. Steam/boil until cooked but not overcooked
3. Best to buy frozen peas!