Fish with Escovitch and rice and peas
Main Course / Gluten Free / Lactose Free / Nut Free / Low Cholesterol / Caribbean / Low Sodium / Suitable for Diabetics / Healthy heart recipe / Vegetarian
Preparation time: 30minutes
Cooking time: 40minutes
Submitted by: Lead Cooks Working Group
750g White fish (cod, haddock, coley); 1 Lime; 10 sprigs Thyme; 1 tsp Saffron; 2 Spring onions; 1 Orange pepper; 1 Yellow pepper; 1 Red onion; 1 Scotch bonnet chilli; 1 tbsp Cider vinegar; Salt and pepper to taste; 250g Brown rice; 1 x 400ml tin Coconut milk; 1 tin (approx. 400g) Kidney beans (tinned); 800g Spring greens
1.Heat oven to 375. Season the cavity of each fish with salt and pepper; squeeze lime juice inside. Stuff each with 2 sprigs thyme and the chopped spring onions. If using fish steaks or fillets, season with salt and pepper, lime juice and place the thyme and spring onion on top then go to step 3.
2.Cut three diagonal slashes in the side of each fish, and season outsides with salt and pepper.
3.Place fish on a greased foil-lined baking sheet, and bake until just cooked through (about 30 minutes).
1. While the fish is cooking heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat; add chilli, thinly sliced peppers, and onion, and cook, stirring, until softened but slightly crunchy (about 5 minutes).
2. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar; season with and salt and pepper.
3. Top each fish with sauce.
Accompaniment: Rice and peas
1. Cook according to your own recipe or follow the basic guide below:
2. Drain the liquid from the can(s) of beans.
3. Put beans in pan with coconut milk and water (approx. 400 ml for 5 people, or 800 ml for 10 people) and bring to the boil.
4. Add rice and stir for a minute.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover tightly for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.
1. Wash and shred or roughly chop the greens, steam or cook in boiling water
Accompany with Rice and peas