Chicken Tikka Masala
Main Course / Gluten Free / Nut Free / Shellfish Free / Low in Saturated Fats / Low Sodium / Indian
Preparation time: 10minutes
Cooking time: 25minutes
Submitted by: Lead Cooks Working Group
750g Chicken breasts/thighs skinned, boned and cubed
2.5cm Root ginger, finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp Chilli powder (medium or hot)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp Fresh coriander (chopped)
1 Lime - juice only
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
1 Onion (finely chopped)
1 Red chilli (de-seeded and finely chopped)
1tsp Ground turmeric
300ml Double cream
1/2 Lemon juice - juice only
Fresh coriander (chopped) to garnish
400g Spinach or other seasonal vegetables as appropriate
1. Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl and mix with the ginger, garlic, chilli, salt, pepper, coriander, lime juice and one tablespoon of the oil.
2. Set aside and allow the flavours to develop.
3. Heat a heavy-bottomed shallow pan and, when hot, add the chicken.
4. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is browned on all sides.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large pan and cook the onion and red chilli for 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
6. Add the turmeric and cook for one minute.
7. Stir in the cream and cook gently for a couple of minutes.
8. Add the chicken to the creamy sauce and simmer for five minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
9. Check for seasoning, and add lemon juice to taste.
Serve in foils.
Frozen spinach can be used instead of fresh.
This recipe can be amended depending on overall availability and seasonality of foodstuffs or kitchen capacity.
The quantities given above are a guide. Please use your judgement when buying the ingredients as some of the ingredients will scale up or down more easily than others.