Red Pepper and Feta Orzo Salad
Light Meal / Lactose Free / Shellfish Free / Low Cholesterol / Low in Saturated Fats / Low Potassium / Suitable for Diabetics / Healthy heart recipe / Vegetarian / European
Submitted by: Lead Cooks Working Group
1 and a half Red onions, peeled and very thinly sliced
45 mls Red wine vinegar
45 mls Olive oil
300 gms Orzo pasta (tiny rice like shape)
5 Roasted red peppers
350 gms Feta cheese, crumbled
15 tsps Pine nuts, toasted or dry fried
1 bunch of Mint, finely chopped
1. Put the onion in a bowl. Season really well and toss with the vinegar and oil. Leave to marinate and soften
2. Fry or toast the pine nuts. Keep an eye on the pine nuts when toasting or dry frying as they will cook very quickly
3. Cook the orzo in salted boiling water until just tender. Then drain, rinse under cold water to cool. Drain really well again
4. Toss with the onion and dressing. Gently mix through the rest of the ingredients
5. Sprinkle the feta cheese on the top
Peppers can be bought ready roasted or you can do it yourself.
Wash and slice the peppers. Drizzle with some olive oil, salt and pepper.
Roast on a medium to hot oven until soft.
Leave to cool