Dessert / Snack / Nut Free / Shellfish Free / Plain Soft Food / Vegetarian / European
Preparation time: 30minutes
Cooking time: 1hours 15minutes
Submitted by: Lead Cook - Stephen Bull
600g Apples (Bramley or other sharp variety)
100g Bread, white or mixed
60g Grated vegetarian suet
110g Sugar, granulated or caster
50g Butter, salted or unsalted (or use low-fat alternatives)
150ml Custard (ready-made or fresh)
1. Preheat the oven to 190c (fan assisted oven 170c, 375f, gas mark 5)
2. Make up the breadcrumbs, either using white bread or a mix of white and wholemeal.
3. Mix breadcrumbs with the sugar, suet and grated lemon zest.
4. Peel and slice the apples.
5. Put a layer of apples in a lightly greased dish then a layer of the breadcrumb mix on top.
6. Add a squeeze of lemon juice in a number of places and a few small pieces of butter.
7. Repeat the process until the dish is full finishing with the breadcrumb mixture and a few pieces of butter