Crumble Topped Lentil Ragu
Main Course / Lactose Free / Shellfish Free / Suitable for Diabetics / Healthy heart recipe / Vegetarian
Submitted by: Lead Cooks Working Group
125 gms Carrots - scrubbed or peeled and chopped
50 gms Red onions - finely chopped
250 gms Mushrooms - finely chopped
5 sticks Celery - finely chopped
110 gms Wholemeal flour
37 gms Butter - diced
60 gms Fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
60 gms Grated cheddar cheese
40 gms Nuts - mixed and chopped
40 gms Sunflower seeds
40 gms Pumpkin seeds
1 Garlic clove - crushed and chopped
1 large Bay leaf
15 mls or 3 tsps Olive oil
250 gms dry weight Puy lentils - alternatively use any black lentil, or a mixture of brown and green
1x400 gm tin chopped tomatoes
50 gms Tomato puree - double concentrate
Half a Red chilli - hot (optional) (please be careful when scaling up as these, for eg, Scotch Bonnets, are very hot so do not just multiply the amounts – and wear gloves if possible)
300 mls Vegetable stock – add dry Marigold boullion stock powder to mixture and add liquid if required
1. Heat the oil in a large deep saucepan.
2. Add the chopped onions, carrots, celery, garlic, mushrooms and chilli to the pan. Cook until softened and beginning to turn golden
3. Rinse and drain the lentils
4. Add the lentils to the vegetables and let them dry a little - stirring constantly
5. Add half of the stock and bring to the boil.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes, the concentrate and the bay leaves.
7. Keep checking the sauce. Stir often and add more stock as it is absorbed.
8. Cook on a moderate heat for around 1 hour. Towards the end of the cooking time, taste and season to taste. Do not add salt before this stage as the lentils will go hard and will not cook properly
1. Put the flour in a bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips. Sprinkle over 1 tbsp cold water and mix together with a fork to make large crumbs. Stir in the breadcrumbs, cheese, nuts, seeds and remaining thyme.
2. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the ragu. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in medium oven 190°c/Fan Ass’t 180°c/375°f/gas mark 5 - Guide only. Refer to your appliance manual or until the topping is golden brown