Hearty Beef Stew with Dumplings
Main Course / Lactose Free / Nut Free / Shellfish Free / Traditional British
Submitted by: www.bbc.co.uk/food
30 mls or 2 tbsps Olive oil
25 gms Butter
200 gms Celery stalks – washed, topped and tailed and cut into large chunks
2 Leeks - washed and roughly chopped
200 gms Carrots - peeled and cut into large chunks - If using in the stew, remove as a veg
200 gms Small shallots – peeled and chopped
250 gms Swede - peeled diced into large chunks
3 tbsps Fresh thyme leaves
750 gms Lean chuck/stewing beef - diced
3 tbsps Fresh flat leaf parsley - chopped
2 Bay leaves
Worcestershire sauce – to taste. (contains gluten)
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
3 tbsps Plain flour
Salt and black pepper – to taste
750 gms Beef stock (may contain gluten)
Dumplings (contains gluten)
145 gms Plain flour
Half tsp Baking powder
Pinch of Salt
75 gms Suet
Water - to make a soft dough
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºc/160ºc Fan/350ºc/Gas 4. Guide only. Refer to your appliance manual
2. Heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof casserole dish or gastronome stew pan and fry the beef until browned and sealed.
3. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add all the vegetables and fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the stock and herbs.
6. Add the Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover with a lid if casserole dish or transfer into tin for the oven. Transfer to the oven and cook for about 2 hours or until the beef is tender
Serve with vegetables
400 gms Carrots - peeled chopped into batons (If using as a side veg, take out from stew)
400 gms Seasonal vegetable
Wash, prepare and cook (boil, roast or steam) vegetables and serve as normal when stew and dumplings is ready