Autumn Fruit Salad in Thyme and Ginger. Served with Shortbread Fingers
Dessert / Nut Free / Shellfish Free / Low Sodium / Vegetarian
Submitted by: Lead Cooks Working Group
25 gms Stem ginger in syrup – finely sliced
50 gms Caster sugar
250 mls Water
2 Large Oranges
3 Green apples
5 Plums - stoned
100 gms White seedless grapes
1 Large sprig Fresh thyme
Shortbread Fingers - To make 10 Fingers
150 gms Caster sugar
300 gms Unsalted butter
1 tsp (approx half a lemon) Zest of Lemon
2 and half tsp Stem ginger – sliced
1 and half Fresh thyme – leaves
450 gms Plain flour
60 gms Caster sugar – for rolling
1. Drain the syrup from the ginger and add it to the sugar and water in a pan. Stir and heat gently to make a clear syrup.
2. Peel the oranges and slice across the grain into ½ cm thick rounds - removing any pips.
3. Cut each apple in half horizontally removing the core and quarter.
4. Cut each pear lengthways. Remove the core and quarter.
5. Remove grapes from the stalks (de-seed if necessary) and cut in half.
6. Put the apples and pears into the syrup and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the sprigs of thyme.
7. Now add the orange slices and plums and simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Slice the pieces of ginger as thinly as possible and add this to the pan with the grapes. Simmer 5 more minutes.
Pour into a dish and leave to cool
1. Combine the caster sugar and butter in a food processor to an almost-smooth paste.
2. Add the lemon, ginger and thyme. Process until smooth.
3. Add the flour and pulse until almost combined.
4. Turn out into a bowl and bring together by hand.
5. Roll to a rectangle, dusted over and under with caster sugar, to a 5 mm thickness.
6. Dust with a bit more caster sugar.
7. Cut into finger-sized fingers.
8. Spread out on a metal baking sheet lined with parchment - leave 2cm between each biscuit.
9. Place in the freezer or fridge for 20 minutes.
While chilling, preheat the oven to 190ºc/170ºc Fan/375ºf/Gas mark 5. Guide only. Refer to your appliance manual
10. Bake for 20 minutes or until just browning at the edges