Sardine and New Potato Salad
Starter / Light Meal / Dairy Free / Gluten Free / Lactose Free / Nut Free / Low Cholesterol / Low in Saturated Fats / Suitable for Diabetics / Halal / Healthy heart recipe / European
Preparation time: 15minutes
Cooking time: 20minutes
Submitted by: The Food Chain
400g new potatoes, washed thoroughly and cut into halves.
1 green apple, washed and cored.
120g can of sardines in olive oil.
1 baby gem lettuce.
2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced.
2 teaspoons of olive oil.
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
1 teaspoon of honey.
Black pepper, to taste.
Alfalfa shoots or Cress (optional).
1) Add the potatoes to a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer until cooked. Drain the potatoes and cool in a bowl of cold water.
2) Wash, trim and shred the lettuce.
3) Wash, trim and thinly slice the spring onions.
4) Chop the apple into cubes.
5) Mix the apple, potatoes, lettuce, sardines, spring onion – season with black pepper in the large bowl.
6) To make the dressing, mix together the honey, balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl.
7) Add the dressing to the salad mix in the large bowl. Use a spoon to mix through.
8) Garnish with alfalfa or cress (optional).
Sardines are good sources of heart healthy Omega 3.